About the Program
Since 2002, Studio Chi has been providing quality training in shiatsu therapy, acupressure & energy work. The Shiatsu Therapist Training Program is designed for graduates of the Shiatsu Practitioner Training Program who desire to enhance their skills and embrace an even deeper level of knowledge in this field of study.
This ancient healing art acknowledges that body, mind and spirit are a unified whole, and that touching another being is more than a purely physical act. Our program recognizes that shiatsu is much more then a modality. It is a lifestyle which integrates self care and awareness through diet, movement and meditation. Graduates of Studio Chi’s Shiatsu Therapist Training Program become skilled and knowledgeable shiatsu therapists prepared for success.
Shiatsu Therapist Diploma Program curriculum consists of Practical Techniques (200 hours), Theory (300 hours), and additional requirements.
REGISTER NOW AS SPACE IS LIMITED.
Core program at Studio Chi: $6,000.00 + GST
Instructor: Brenda Molloy, RST, CA, RYT and Guest Instructors
Registration fee: $100.00 non-refundable
Additional Costs to Graduate:
- Professional Treatments: Average cost is $100 – $180 per session (3 professional treatments are required)
- Tai Chi, Yoga or equivalent training: cost will vary, depending on instructor.
- First Aid/CPR course: $80 to $90
- Massage Table
- Shiatsu Mat & Headrest
- Sheets, pillowcases, headrest covers and towels
- Massage oils
- Basic essential oil kit
Books and Materials List (subject to change):
- The Book of Shiatsu. Paul Lundberg
- Zen Shiatsu. Shizuto Masunaga
- Between Heaven and Earth. Harriet Beinfield and Efrem Korngold
- A Practical Guide to Acu-Points. Chris Jarmey and Ilaira Bouratinos
- The Concise Book of Muscles. Chris Jarmey
- Acupressure for Emotional Release. Michael Reed Gach & Beth Ann Henning
- Healing with Whole Foods: Oriental Traditions & Modern Nutrition. Paul Pitchford
- Acupressure Charts
Payment for half the program is due in advance. The remaining payment is due at the mid-way point of the program. It does not include the registration fee, books or charts. In the event of non-payment on the assigned payment date students will be required to suspend their attendance until the payment has been made. Payment for the program in full is required to graduate.
This part-time program begins in September and ends in June with a three week winter break and 2 one week breaks.
Program Study Time:
Students are required to devote a minimum of 25 hours of study per week:
- 14 hours class time
- 2 hours for case studies
- 1 hour yoga, tai chi, or other movement therapies
- 8 hours of study time on own to practice techniques and read the required reading materials.
- Applicants must be graduates of the Shiatsu Practitioner Training Program or have equivalent shiatsu training from another institution supported by documentation.
- Applicants must be high school graduates or mature students.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or have a signature from parents or guardians.
- Preference will be given to those who have prior experience in shiatsu or other healing arts, martial arts, yoga, or other forms of personal growth.
- Applicants will be reviewed on a first-come-first-serve basis, so it is recommended to apply early to avoid disappointment.
- Please consider that Shiatsu is traditionally taught and practiced on the floor. Students will be spending many hours practicing shiatsu on the floor. Classes, written materials and assessments will be delivered in English.
Additional Requirements to Graduate:
The additional requirements are completed in addition to the scheduled 500 hours of training. It is the student’s responsibility to record these requirements and submit to Studio Chi.
- Yoga, Tai Chi, or equivalent training: 30 hours
- Basic First Aid/CPR course
- Case studies: 30 treatments given and 10 received
- Give 1 shiatsu session to Instructor before graduating (practical exam)
- Give a shiatsu session while observed by Instructor (observed exam)
- Professional treatments received: minimum of 3
Practical Techniques (200 hours)
- Review and refinement of previously taught techniques
- Acupressure & emotional release
- Vibrational medicine
- Reiki Level 3
- Five element assessment
- Five element techniques
- Five element presentation
- Command Points – assessment and treatment
- Chakras and traditional Chinese medicine
- Case study presentations and discussions
- Skills demonstration
Theory (300 hours)
- Review and refinement of previously taught theory
- Masunaga shiatsu theory
- The Masunaga extended meridian system
- Spirit of the points
- Five element theory – part 2
- Five elements and the organs
- Emotional and energetic causes of disease
- Intermediate extraordinary vessels
- Coaching and mindfulness skills
- Anatomy and physiology – part 2
A diploma will be granted upon satisfactory completion of all theoretical and practical assignments and requirements. Studio Chi is registered by the Private Training Institutions Branch and is a Resource School: Shiatsu Therapy Association of BC.