The registration cut-off for the Shiatsu Practitioner Training Program is fast approaching!
This comprehensive 500 hour diploma program blends Classical Five Element theory, Shiatsu, Acupressure theory, energy work and the practice of self awareness. Part-time schedule allows time for work & family. Class size is limited to 8 students for personal attention. It is the pre-requisite for the Shiatsu Therapist Training Program. Our graduates become skilled and knowledgeable shiatsu practitioners of this ancient and effective healing art.
Shiatsu Practitioner Diploma Program curriculum consists of Practical Techniques (230 hours), Theory (270 hours), and additional requirements.
Instructor: Brenda Molloy, RST, CA, RYT and Guest Instructors
Tuition Fee: $5,000.00 + GST
Registration Fee: $100.00 non-refundable
- Professional Treatments: Average cost is $100 – $140 per session (3 treatments are required)
- Tai Chi, Yoga or equivalent training: cost will vary, depending on instructor.
- First Aid/CPR course: $80 to $90
- Massage Table
- Shiatsu Mat & Headrest
- Sheets, pillowcases, headrest covers and towels
- Massage oils
- Basic essential oil kit
Books and Materials List (subject to change):
- The Book of Shiatsu. Paul Lundberg
- Zen Shiatsu. Shizuto Masunaga
- Between Heaven and Earth. Harriet Beinfield and Efrem Korngold
- A Practical Guide to Acu-points. Chris Jarmey and Ilaira Bouratinos
- Atlas of Anatomy. Konecky & Konecky
- The Human Body Coloring Book. DK Publishing
- Acupuncture Charts (recommended)
Payment for half the program is due in advance. The remaining payment is due at the mid-way point of the program. It does not include the registration fee, books or charts. In the event of non-payment on the assigned payment date students will be required to suspend their attendance until the payment has been made. Payment for the program in full is required to graduate.
This part-time program begins September 19, 2018 and ends June 27, 2019 with a 3 week winter break and two 1 week breaks. Classes are held Wednesdays & Thursdays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Program Study Time:
Students are required to devote a minimum of 25 hours of study per week:
- 14 hours class time
- 2 hours for case studies
- 1 hour yoga, tai chi, or other movement therapies
- 8 hours of study time on own to practice techniques and read the required reading materials
- Applicants must be high school graduates or mature students.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or have a signature from parents or guardians.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Preference will be given to those who have prior experience in shiatsu or other healing arts, martial arts, yoga, or other forms of personal growth.
- Students must be physically fit and able to do the work.
- It is strongly recommended that applicants have received at least two professional shiatsu treatments before considering this program.
- Applicants will be reviewed on a first-come-first-serve basis, so it is recommended to apply early to avoid disappointment.
The additional requirements are completed in addition to the scheduled 500 hours of training. It is the student’s responsibility to record these requirements and submit to Studio Chi.
- Yoga, Tai Chi, or equivalent training 30 hours
- Basic First Aid/CPR course
- Case studies: 30 treatments given and 10 received
- Give 1 shiatsu session to Instructor before graduating (practical exam)
- Give a shiatsu session while observed by Instructor (observed exam)
- Professional treatments received: minimum of 3
Practical Techniques (230 hours)
- Shiatsu Techniques – principles of breath, movement, application of pressure
- Treatment sequences in prone, supine, sitting and side positions
- Ashiatsu (barefoot) techniques
- Yin Shiatsu
- Zen Shiatsu
- Use of the Hara
- Hara assessment
- Kyo & Jitsu energy conditions
- Tonification and dispersion of energy
- Meridian stretching
- Introduction to Moxabustion
- Table Shiatsu
- Chair Shiatsu
- Acu-Oil Massage
- Reiki Levels 1 & 2
- Specific treatments for musculo-skeletal disorders
- Specific treatment approaches for various health issues
- Student Practice Sessions
Theory (270 hours)
- Qi, Yin and Yang
- Meridian theory; locations and functions
- Locations and functions of the major acupuncture points for shiatsu practitioners
- Introduction to Five Element Theory
- Introduction to Zen Shiatsu Theory
- Introduction to Chakras
- Introduction to Oriental Medicine Theory
- Introduction to Facial Assessment
- Introduction to Pulse Assessment
- Location of Yu Points
- Extraordinary Channels and Vessels
- Feng Shui for Healing Spaces
- Diet and Nutrition
- Contraindications for Treatment
- Business Practice and Ethics
- Functional Anatomy and Physiology
- Introduction to Five Element Counseling and Communication Skills
A diploma will be granted upon satisfactory completion of all theoretical and practical assignments and requirements. Studio Chi is registered by the Private Training Institutions Branch and is a Resource School: Shiatsu Therapy Association of BC.
Brenda Molloy is the founder, sole proprietor, and main instructor for Studio Chi. A successful Shiatsu Therapist, Sound Practitioner, Yoga Teacher and Feng Shui Consultant, Brenda is a Registered Shiatsu Therapist, Registered with the Shiatsu Therapy Association of BC and a registered member of the Yoga Alliance. She relies on a hands-on approach with theory applied during her classes. Brenda offers classes and individual consultations in Feng Shui, Shiatsu, Acupressure, Sound and Tuning Fork Therapy, Yoga and Reiki. Known for her kind generosity, Brenda is excited to share her knowledge with her students.
Professional accomplishments include:
- Graduate Diploma in Shiatsu and Acupressure, Acupressure Institute, Berkeley, California
- Feng Shui training in the Tibetan Tantric Black Hat Sect, Yun Lin Temple, Berkeley
- Professional Sound Healing Certification in Acutonics, Kairos Institute of Sound Healing, New Mexico
- Reiki Master/Teacher in the Tera Mara Reiki and Usui Reiki traditions
- Yoga Teacher trained and certified, The American Yoga Academy
- Inspirational speaker at numerous retreats and events throughout Western Canada